This fast, easy recipe can be made with staples in your home. Add more vegetables, or leave them out. Swap the zucchini for carrots. Use water if you don’t have vegetable broth. I like to keep red lentils on hand because they quickly cook up to a hot, soft texture, as healthy comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp garam masala spice blend
- 2/3 cup red lentils
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, torn apart
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute stirring constantly until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add spices and lentils and stir to coat.
- Add zucchini and spinach.
- Pour in sauce and water or broth and bring to boil.
- Cover saucepan and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes or until over half of the liquid has evaporated and lentils are tender.
Makes three servings, when served alone. Also great served over rice.