This easy lunch or dinner recipe fills tummies with goodness and warmth.
1/2 yellow onion
1 chicken breast per person, frozen is OK
2 1/2 cups chicken broth or chicken bone broth (we use organic, no salt added)
1 cup diced carrots and celery (we like small carrot sticks)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 sprigs fresh parsley
1 cup plain almond milk (or your favorite milk)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free biscuit & baking mix
1/3 cup plain almond milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place half of an onion in the bottom of a soup pot and set on stove, at medium-high heat.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, vegetables, salt, and pepper and begin to lightly boil.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup milk and the cornstarch with wire whisk until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Heat just to boiling.
- Remove chicken breast from pot to a plate or cutting board and dice or shred. Return chicken to pot. Add parsley.
- In a small bowl, stir dumpling ingredients with fork until blended. Gently drop dough by 8-10 rounded spoonfuls onto boiling chicken mixture. (There is no need to refrigerate the batter first.)
- Reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes longer.
- Serve hot, with additional salt and pepper to taste.