My bloggy friend Crystal of Thrifty and Frugal Living nominated me for a Liebster Award. I had never heard of this award, but it brought a smile to my face as I was playing on Twitter and Instagram on my phone this Saturday morning, debating if I was ready to get out of bed or not. (I wasn’t…)
(I’m ignoring the 200 followers rule, like she did…)
This award will basically give you some insight into who I am. Here are the questions I was given:
1. Who are your top 5 all time favorite bands/artists?
I would have had a really thoughtful answer for this in High School, when I was just starting to seriously get into music. 9th grade introduced me to Billy Joel and Crosby, Stills & Nash. Senior year I wore headphones and a Walkman between classes in the hallways listening to Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith. In college I interned at Mercury Records and “Rolling Stone Magazine”. I was up with the latest and greatest bands before you knew they were cool. 😉 My dad was a classical music guy and my mom was a pop music girl, and I had a set of my own records (I think I still have most of them) including soundtracks from Annie, Shirley Temple, Saturday Night Fever, a few Disney movies and Sesame Street. But these days I’ll stick with…
- The Beatles
- REO Speedwagon
- Bonnie McKee
- Aerosmith? Mozart? Madonna? Belinda Carlisle? Billy Joel? Simon & Garfunkel? Huey Lewis?
2. What is the one beauty product you can not live without?
There are 3 items that came to mind right away, so I’m going to cheat and tell you about all 3 of them.
- Deodorant – preferably Secret powder fresh scent in invisible solid, which is supposed to glide on clear even when you wear black clothes, but that never works
- Oil Free Oil of Olay with SPF 15 – I believe in sunscreen and daily moisturizer
- Black Eyeliner – I’m not picky about brand. I find true black in a twist-up pencil at CVS and see which is cheapest that day with a coupon.
That’s not to say I don’t wear eye shadow or lipstick or perfume or hair product – oh, and nail polish – I totally do. But today I am in Yoga pants and just ran to the grocery store, and the 3 items listed above would get put on before anything else.
3. Describe your dream vacation
- The 4 members of my family for 11 days in Hawaii with great weather, great food, and a different Cirque du Soleil show every night – the majority of time in Oahu, and I know there is not a Cirque show there, this is my dream… followed up by a week in France, a week in Italy and a week in Austria. And maybe 4 days in Hong Kong and 4 days in Israel. And some hiking in New Zealand. Then 4 days in New York City to see shows and 3 days in New Orleans to eat. Then 8 days at Walt Disney World resort Florida and 4 days at Disneyland California to compare. Honestly, Austria is only on the list because I know Brian wants to go there.
4. Do you ever think about names for your future children (whether or not you have kids now)?
I say Isabella (“Bella”) is the girl name I never used and Scott Elliott (“Scooter”) is the boy name I never used. And I would change Alice’s middle name to Marie and let Wendy pick her own middle name.
5. Have you ever been in love?
Yes. I so love my husband!!!
6. What accomplishment of yours are you the most proud of?
When I catch my daughters curled up reading silently or when I catch the 2 of them quietly chatting, having a “sister moment”. It used to be when they said, “You’re the best mommy in the whole world!”
Recently, we moved out of our house on the same weekend Alice had to have emergency surgery. A few days later, Alice called me a “rock”. I was pretty proud of that.
I also decided in 2012 to make Half Moon pose my yoga bitch. When I nail it with my hips properly rotated and can lift my lower hand off the floor, I am more proud than a true yogi should allow herself to be.
7. What is one of your most embarrassing moments?
I’ve put my foot in my mouth a few times, and got my period on my light pink skirt in middle school, but it would have to be when I was making out with my boyfriend by a lake for the 2nd weekend in a row, and got a talking-to from the same cop for the 2nd weekend in a row.
8. What is your favorite movie?
I went through movie phases where I would watch the same video over and over until the tape wore down. It started with Annie, moved on to Stand By Me, then Some Kind of Wonderful. Now there’s the scene from Moulin Rouge! (just the scene, not the whole movie) when Ewan McGregor sings “Your Song” to Nicole Kidman, and I melt. I also love to watch videos of my kids growing up. I am happy to say I have transferred most of them to DVD.
9. Who do you admire/ look up to?
I admire different traits in different people. Right now I am home with my friends Tom and Debbie, and he can cook like nobody’s business and she can make cheesecake that is like clouds. My husband is a great adapter, and is self motivated and a great self educator. My Uncle Jerome embraces mindfulness – as does my father, but in a way that is harder for me to relate to. I admire my mother’s patience with her parents.
10. If you could have any job in the world tomorrow (without going through schooling or anything), what would it be?
If I could have any job, I would volunteer with children who are either homeless or in the hospital. I would read to them and play games with them. We’d paint pottery and play tag at the park. But I need an income, and so I have found something creative which I really enjoy – web design.
11. If you could have dinner with anyone (dead/alive/celebrity/normal person) who would it be?
I would enjoy dinner with my late Grandfather Harry Freedman again. I was lucky to have had many dinners with him as a child. Somebody new would be Drew Barrymore.
Paying It Forward
These are some of my favorite bloggers who now have to answer my 11 questions:
- Brian @ A Runner’s Blog, yep my husband
- Chasing the Kenyans, miss her
- Gingermantra, newly discovered
- Drawing Saudade, creative genius
- Abby’s Road to Amazingness
- Maker Mother Marathon Runner
- Mindy’s Fitness Journey, taught both of my daughters!
- One Twenty Five
Here are my 11 Questions:
- Who, what, and/or where does your blogging inspiration come from?
- What was your favorite book before you were 12 years old? Do you still own a copy?
- Where was your first kiss?
- Describe your dream vacation.
- If you were an animated character, who would you be?
- If you could run through the Magic Kingdom with anyone, who would it be?
- What is your favorite quote?
- Finish this sentence: Best Friends are…
- What is your dream drink / meal / dessert combo?
- What is a goal you have for yourself that you have yet to achieve?
- What is the best thing about YOU?